If you are an expat from a non EU country looking forward to convert your driving license to get a Danish one for which you need to go through a theory test, then this one is for you.
So my journey in this direction started with enrolling myself at one of the most reputed driving schools for a converter course in 2016. I attended some theory lessons and got a subscription to prove.dk for practicing theory tests. Due to busy working hours and other personal reasons, I never gave a theory test and ended up spending 2,650 DKK for theory classes and 600 DKK on a medical certificate that expired in a year.
On a side note, you need to goto your kommune and submit your driving license from home country, medical certificate from the doctor (that includes your passport size photo). Also need to carry along your residence permit also known as ‘pink card’.
Coming back to the theory test, I finally decided to take one in December 2018 for which I got a fresh medical certificate made and went to kommune. To my disappointment, I discovered that it is really difficult to get a slot for driving theory test in English without a driving school (apparently they book all the slots as soon as they are out). So I decided to ask my driving school to do this for me and I got a slot at Holbaek (be prepared to accept theory tests at far away places if you do not want to wait for long).
And this time I decided to study from theory book from prove.dk and solve the test papers taking a weekly subscription from the same website. And here are the tips for you:
- Try to reach at least 15 minutes before the test starts so that you are relaxed.
- It is advisable to grab the front seat since the test runs on a large screen where test related scenarios are displayed.
- First two questions are for example, so the test consists of 27 questions out of which first two are not considered for scoring. Out of remaining 25 questions, at least 20 should be correct for you to pass.
- Each question has 2, 3 or 4 sub questions and ALL OF THEM have to be answered correctly for your answer to qualify as right. Hence listen and answer very carefully.
- Each question is played on the audio only once. Another reason to listen very carefully since you cannot go back and change your answers like you do in prove.dk practice tests unless you can recollect in your mind what the question was. Please note that it is completely acceptable at their end if you correct your answer within stipulated time of test however the correction should be clearly visible.
I have been able to clear the theory test in first attempt and believe that if you attempt all the practice tests at prove.dk, it increases your chances of clearing the test highly (this is not an advertisement).
Good luck with your test and hope this article helped you. Do not forget to check another article on practical driving tests in Denmark.